An Unexpected Grail Gun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GOG, Jun 10, 2020.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

An Enfield jungle carbine has been sort of floating around in the back of my mind for many years. I resisted pursuing it because I don't have any real interest in stocking .303 for one firearm.

Then a while back this one came up for sale, a Gibbs No.7 Jungle Carbine.
    These were made from Ishapore Enfield Mk. 2A's which were manufactured in 7.62x51NATO and which is a caliber that I do stock. To make it even better, the price was right.

(Some years back Gibbs Rifle Co. and Santa Fe Arms did rifle conversion/modifications to milsurp rifles. Navy Arms is in there somewhere too.)

It had been the former owners deer gun for twenty years plus and was drilled and tapped with a scope mounted when I bought it.

It looked beat up but it was in good shape where it counted so I decided to "refresh" it rather than just a clean and lube.

I sent the steel bits to my favorite gunsmith for a look see and parkerizing.
    I stripped the wood and tried to keep the only cartouche on it as intact as possible. Along the way I discovered a couple of major splits in the fore end, so I bought a full fore end and cut and shaped it to fit.
    Since it's not an actual original jungle carbine I felt pretty safe with the liberties I was taking and am very pleased with the result.

20200608_133031. 20200608_133221. 20200608_132851.

20200608_133031. 20200608_133221. 20200608_132851.

HK_User, Ura-Ki, snake6264 and 7 others like this.
  2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

If it ever needs a new home call me!

Ura-Ki, GOG, Altoidfishfins and 2 others like this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Enfield Model 2A .308 / 7.62 mm 10 Round Magazine

This might help. I think I remember getting 12 rounds in these, but it's been a while.

Nice looking Gibbs. I've got a Gibbs Frontier in .45/70. It's fun with my loads, but it'd be unpleasant with more recoil. The No. 7 looks very handy and efficient. Nice find.

HK_User, GOG and SB21 like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Had a 2A a while back.

Gave it to my son when he showed he could do head shots. offhand at 100M.

Then again, he was the best shooter in his company.

Marine

FAST Company.

The SMLEs are a brick, but they served the Queen and Empire for generations....

Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  5. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

If it had a scout rail it could be Col. Coopers scout rifle.

And thank you.

HK_User, Ura-Ki and Oddcaliber like this.
  6. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Very nice hefty to carry those Enfield's but a great rifle

HK_User, Ura-Ki, GOG and 1 other person like this.
  7. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

Nice score!

HK_User, Ura-Ki and GOG like this.
  8. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

I have always wanted one of those. Never could locate one when I had the money. I remember back when 303 ammo was $7.50 a hundred,and you could order tru the mail.[flag]

HK_User, Ura-Ki, Alf60 and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7