An ancient Uzbek way to stay warm in Winter

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by GOG, Jan 18, 2024.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I thought this was pretty clever as well as simple and should be shared..

Zimmy, Hanzo, Alanaana and 4 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Interesting,,

GOG and duane like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I thought they were going to kill a horse or something, gut it and crawl inside! I would just build a blanket fort and heat it with body heat and a candle.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Neat. How many die from CO/CO2 poisoning? (CO and CO2 are heavier than air and 'sink' in an enclosed space)

While in Korea, I saw a lot of these (burning cheap low-quality coal 'brickettes')
    upload_2024-1-18_11-6-54.
    kitchen fire heated the house. The CO/CO2 deaths were the bonus.
    Much like old-school Roman heating.

In the US we have these
    upload_2024-1-18_11-8-39.
    "solid fuel" hand / sleeping bag warmers - and they work great. Still have the pair I used in the field in rural AK. The odor is something you learn to ignore. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 18, 2024
    Zimmy, Gator 45/70, Brokor and 2 others like this.
  5. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I'm sure the houses are pretty drafty!

GOG and DKR like this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

In Korea I had the dubious 'duty' to visit homes of the hookers/yobos in the winter to check for CO/CO2 leakage up thru the floor. Heat rises, pulling the gas up into the living space, then - the occupants, sleeping on the floor, don't wake up. Big problem in rural RoK at the time (1976/77)

( see A Social History of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning in Korea in 1960s: from an Accident due to Carelessness to a Social Disease | Request PDF (research.net))
    This paper demonstrates the danger of low-grade coal.

I got this 'job' because I was the only one in the unit that everyone else trusted to leave 'their' hookers alone. Distasteful to me, to say the least. OTOH, going to a service for a dead GI is no fun either.

Zimmy, Gator 45/70 and GOG like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7