Americans Buying Guns at ‘Blistering Pace,’ FBI Data Shows: Expert

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HK_User, Feb 3, 2021.

1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

By Zachary Stieber
    February 3, 2021 Updated: February 3, 2021

Newly released background check data from January shows Americans are buying guns at a “blistering pace,” a firearms expert said.

“That’s undoubtedly connected to President Joe Biden’s plans to attack the firearm industry by undoing and rewriting regulations and executive actions to target the firearm industry,” Mark Olivia, director of public affairs at the National Shooting Sports Foundation, said in a statement.

Olivia pointed to the Biden administration freezing the publication of the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency’s “Fair Access” banking rule, and promises to try and repeal the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act to tighten restrictions on gun licenses, and to ban AR-15 style rifles.

The White House didn’t respond to a request for comment.

According to the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check (NCIS) data, 4.3 million firearm background checks were initiated in January. That’s the highest number on record, and up over 300,000 in comparison to December 2020. Three of the top 10 highest weeks are now from January 2021.

The National Shooting Sports Foundation’s adjusted background check figure of 2 million, reached by subtracting out background code permit checks and permit rechecks and checks on active concealed carry permits, was a jump from its adjusted figure of 1.1 million in January 2020.

“These are jaw-dropping figures to start the New Year. Americans are claiming their Second Amendment rights to provide for their own safety in record numbers,” Olivia said.

Jurgen Brauer, the chief economist for Small Arms Analytics, said in a statement that the new year “certainly started off with a sales ‘bang’ due to the turmoil surrounding the confirmation and inauguration of Mr. Biden as the new U.S. president.”

“The 79 percent year-over-year increase, however, was NOT unprecedented—an even higher increase, of just over 100 percent, was experienced in January 2013, the month Mr. Obama’s second presidential term began,” he added.

Everytown for Gun Safety said the continued increase in background checks highlights the need for Congress and Biden to implement gun restrictions.

“As the country reels from multiple crises, the gun industry has cashed in with record sales that have made Americans less safe,” Nick Suplina, managing director of law and policy for the group, said in a statement.

“Without swift changes in policy, our already devastating gun violence epidemic could get even deadlier. The good news, though, is that we finally have leaders in the White House and in both chambers of Congress who recognize that this crisis demands action.”

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

If the democrats cared about violence the riots would have been stopped abruptly.In stead they supported the riots.

STANGF150, 3cyl, Gator 45/70 and 3 others like this.
  3. HK_User

Dems just want to increase violence so they can continue increasing police power for the state.

Dems want Military presence on every corner.

oldawg, 3cyl and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I guess I have to wonder how many of those 4.3 million background checks actually resulted in a purchase.

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

As of this morn, the Wait time for the Back Ground Check is 3 FUCKING WEEKS!!! Todays que was 7800 in line, and they are not able to process them any faster, our benevolent Gov'ness has not allowed the O.S.P to hire additional staff to handle this back log, so, a right delayed is a right denied! OryGun alone has seen over 3 million Back Ground Checks since the Rona first started, and there is no end in sight!

HK_User and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

As a concealed weapons permit hold in SC I do not have to go through the federal background check in order to buy a firearm or receiver.
    Newly released background check data from January shows Americans are buying guns at a “blistering pace,” a firearms expert said.
    IMO great news.

STANGF150, HK_User, 3cyl and 2 others like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Here in OryGun, having a CCW no longer matters, as the state requires a BGC no matter what! Even having a Fed. issued permit to carry, I actually get delayed more because of it instead of bypassing the BGC like i'm supposed to, same as a state issued CCW!

8. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

An armed society is a polite society,
    I applaud the newbs to the gun family. However. We sounded the alarm a long time ago. Don't complain to me about a gun shortage or ammo prices and availability. I understand a lack of funds to prep well. If that's the case, my apologies. You get a pass, But those of us that tuned into the prepper culture a while back and had the funds to stock a reasonable cache and didn't...

I just bought an airgun. It wasn't expensive but by all accounts is a tack driver.

Our pantry can sustain us a good while. But It'll get bigger. And I just ordered more heirloom seeds.

Pay attention folks.

oldawg, HK_User, TinyDreams and 5 others like this.
  9. HK_User

I would suggest that PTB are taking note of such activities.

Oh well, on yet another list.

Gator 45/70, Yard Dart and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If you are upset by any State Statute that requires you to get any kind of License or Permit to purchase a firearm, just go get a Federal Firearms License and forget all the State BS... Once licensed, no more Waiting Period, no more standing in a queue for some dumb bureaucrat, no more Background Checks for Purchase, no more State or local BS about disarming you while they check your ID... There is NO PROVISION in the GCA of 1968 As Amended, that allows a State or local LEO, to even temporarily, remove a FireArm from your Possession, if it is recorded in our Bound Book. Doing so, would constitute a Federal Felony, let alone permanent Removal or confiscation...

Tempstar likes this.
  11. HK_User

You still have to jump through the BATF rules and the separation (aka mulit safes and rules by the BATF) and by the state you live in of weapons and prove, HA!, weapons for sale v private weapons and searches by Feds secure storage and State secure storage.

Just more rules to stumble on and an open front door for the BATF.

Sounds good in theory/not.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

A right cannot be licensed or permitted...otherwise it is not a right, but rather a privilege.

mysterymet, Alf60, 3cyl and 5 others like this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Nor can it be taxed!

mysterymet, techsar, 3cyl and 3 others like this.
  14. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Here at least, gun dealers don't do a check unless you are buying the firearm. Given the people that may actually fail the check, I'd have to guess about 4 million sold. My favorite dealer said he gets about 2 failures a year on average, and some of those come back good if he runs it again.

johnbb, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7