Gear Review African Trooper Boots (Jim Green/Rose Anvil)

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Brokor, Oct 7, 2024.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Barefoot African Trooper
    ($229)

Barefoot African Trooper - Jim Green
    These boots are a collaboration between Rose Anvil (Weston) and Jim Green. The comfort and style of barefoot, zero-drop footwear has now been combined with the strength of a more traditional paratrooper jump boot, bringing added protection and durability to the wearer. I have the Houston Black version, which is made from a single layer of Nubuck leather. These are 8 inch height boots with a full toe cap and a fully gusseted tongue. The 3mm leather midsole is just right, adding strength but allowing for flexibility. All of this is secured with a 360 degree (stitch-down) double stitched braided nylon cord, and this makes the boots recraftable. The last is a zero-drop, offering added room and a widened toe box. The Anvil sole is designed to mimic walking in any terrain barefoot, and the wear is resilient while also being responsive and flexible. These are 100 percent made in Africa.

I waited about 3 months for mine to arrive, and as soon as they did I put them on and went to work that morning. I wore these boots all day long and instantly felt like they were destined to be a part of my routine. I ended up wearing them the next two days and am now just typing this review late at night while still wearing them. I will post updates as time goes on, but I think we can safely say these are very comfortable and require nearly no break-in at all.

On the second day, I decided to apply some conditioner and brush the boots, then work the heel area a little by hand before putting them back on. I did notice on the morning I first wore these, that the heels were a little stiff as I drove the work truck around. I think the outstanding flexibility had me tricked into thinking these were going to require no breaking in at all. There's no cushioned insole, it's a half bed sock liner made from high grade leather, but it affords me plenty of what I need with a pair of quality mid weight wool socks. And yes, even sized down a full size, these boots give me enough room for heavier socks to be worn. I can cinch up the boots tighter for a more snug fit, which is an advantage of a higher boot such as this.

Stock photos:
    barefoot_trooper. barefoot_trooper2. barefoot_trooper3.

My photos:
    IMG_20241006_104632394_HDR. DSC01214.JPG DSC01212.JPG DSC01213.JPG

These boots have already undergone some testing, going through various (I think at least 7 maybe 9) phases before we ended up with what you see here. You might think these aren't very flexible, but you can literally ball these up in your hands. The Nubuck leather is quite soft and yet it is hardy and rugged. I don't think the other two variations will be just as easy to maintain as this Houston Black, but I could be mistaken. I do believe these will wear and age better, and we will see as time goes on just how much. I do know in testing, the sole didn't wear down much after 6 months of continuous daily work, so it may be some time before I need to even think about a resole. As we head into colder weather, I think these and a mid-weight wool sock will suit me just fine.
    I have full range of mobility and no issues at all with these African Troopers. The fit and finish are actually, and surprisingly, perfect. I do have a bit of experience wearing barefoot (flat) footwear, from lounge wear to hiking footwear, and even a pair of Red Wing weekender Chelsea boots --all summer I've been thinking about a full leather boot to transition into. Now that they've arrived and I have tried them on...I don't really want to take them off.

duane, CraftyMofo and Zimmy like this.
  2. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'm interested.

I've been looking at a pair of Redwing Iron Rangers up until now but somehow haven't pulled the trigger yet.

duane and Brokor like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I wear Irish Setter 878 Trailblazers. I am so in love with them that I actually always keep an extra new set stashed away. I admit I do not like the Vibram sole so much in the dead of winter on ice, so I try not to wear them in ice. I'm always open to new boots but they have to perform better or equal for a better price. This is the first I heard of these. I'll look into them. Thanks!

duane likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7