Advice Needed - WIFI Extender

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by T. Riley, Oct 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I need a WIFI extender with a removable external antenna that I can replace with this one. 2.4GHz Yagi Antenna RP-SMA female pin. Anyone know of one?
    upload_2018-10-8_16-29-31.

Asia-Off-Grid likes this.
  2. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

what are yall gonna use this fer? distance? atmospheric conditions in yer AO? terrain?

Wi-Fi 5 runs at 5GHz

Wi-Fi 6 will run at up to 7GHz

some devices will go up to 60GHz

3. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Lots of routers run SMA jacks. How about using a router?

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. sec_monkey

yep

the gud routers cost a lot of $ :(

5. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Using it for a remote wifi camera link that runs at 2.4g

6. sec_monkey

distance? atmospheric conditions in yer AO? terrain?

do ya have AC power with a UPS at the receiving location? is the equipment indoors or outdoors?

7. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G/?tag=survivalmonke-20

I have a TP-Link with three antennas. I used to run 3- 10' magnetic based cables with 9dB gain omnidirectional antennas connected, to cover a large apartment and grounds around it.

I went back with the original included 5dB gain antennas, after renting a smaller apartment in town. No reason why you cannot disconnect one of the verticals and install the yagi for your purpose.

T. Riley likes this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

MikroTik

We have a link covering 52 miles at 100 meg with one of these on the back of a dish. 1 watt radio, forget the exact gain of the dish, but putting around 17000 watts in the air. Best part is they are only $99!

T. Riley and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  9. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

image. image.
    200 yards from extender to antenna and camera. Level line of sight. The extender is outside under the eve of my house. The camera, solar panel and battery are outside by my deer feeder 200 yards away.

10. sec_monkey

should be able to cover that distance with pringles cans (y) (y)

YMMV

11. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

Need Pringles schematics.

Asia-Off-Grid and 3cyl like this.
  12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

13. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Ahhh, 200 yards... You need this:

MikroTik

No ugly yagi

sec_monkey likes this.
  14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

First thing to check is the Connectots that you will be needing to mate up.... SMA comes in two Genders,, as well as two Types... There are the Standard Male, and Female, Genders, and then there are the “ Reverse SMA Type Connectots, both Male and Female. The FCC Requires that ALL Part15 Devices be designed with the NON-Standard Reverse SMA Connectors so that Higher Gain Antennas can NOT easily be substituted for the OEM Factory Antennas. All Wifi Devices imported into the USA are Type Accepted under the PART15 Regulations.. This being said, Reverse SMA Connectors can be had from Connector Supply Houses... It is easier to find them now, than it was a few years ago, but you likely will NOT find them at your local Radio Shack. Second, 200 ft is just about the limit for standard WiFi @ 2.4Ghz using built-in Antennas, assuming a LOS Path, and standard 100milliwatt Transmitters. If you can find one of the Old Buffalo WiFi Access Points that are labeled “ HP” grab it and load the “DRT” Firmware into it. This gets you a 1 Watt WiFi Access Point with a Reverse SMA Antenna Connector... I used a pair of these, with 12db Pannel Antennas, on a link from my Home Network, 2 miles down to my Beach Cabin,... That link ran at 20Mbs Full Duplex, on a LOS Path all over water... I will be looking at designing a New Link, to our New Place, this next summer, as it is about the same Distance, but NOT LOS... Lots of Big Trees, and other Terrain in between. so it will be interesting to see iif it will be possible to do something at all...

15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

@BTPost - you mean DD-WRT firmware? Just making sure and clarifying. If not, my bad.

sec_monkey likes this.
  16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yup, that works...

T. Riley likes this.
  17. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Oh, good....for a second there, I thought you might have a left-leaning neighbor, that you were going to re-train their brain, with some beamed-in knowledge! :eek::whistle::rolleyes:(y)

sec_monkey and T. Riley like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7