A Tiny House Community for Homeless Military Veterans

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by chelloveck, Oct 23, 2022.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Safe, secure transitional tiny house accommodation for homeless military veterans.

The first step out of homelessness is secure accommodation which enables veterans the dignity of living safely in a comfortable, affordable space where they can be supported towards the goals of employment, positive health outcomes, and long term accommodation.

oldawg, Ura-Ki, 3M-TA3 and 1 other person like this.
  2. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

As a veteran who by the grace of god has never suffered PSD or been homeless, have had what i consider A/O issues the VA won't cover. The fact that there is one homeless vet in the USA is a national disgrace. This nation can go into countries like Iraq, Afghanistan respond to foreign disaster relief --build schools and shelter yet can't take care of our vets makes my blood boil. Our government can house and take care of illegals but not our vets makes my blood boil. The government asks us to put our lives on the line but discards us when they have no need for us make my blood boil. We have military bases closed which could be used for housing homeless vets. Private organizations beg for money to help vets when it is a government responsibility (do nothing) makes my blood boil. touched a sore spot ---end of my rant

Dunerunner, Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  3. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Looks like the barracks at Camp Perry and WWII barracks all over the country. The advantage I see in this is proximity. Homeless vets around here tend to be solitary, and like it that way. If they can be comfortably brought back into a community of fellow vets it could be a start.

Dunerunner, Yard Dart, Ura-Ki and 3 others like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

As a vet, I know the struggles, being able to adapt and over come as a civilian can be a daunting challenge, especially with mental health issues and or PTSD! You have to want help and you have to swallow your pride and ask for it! Nothing more frustrating then trying to help a vet who doesn't want it, ask me how I know!
    Imagine this, 20 years in, experiencing some of the very worst that mankind is capable of, having to put it all in a box and somehow putting one foot in front of the other and doing your job, a job that has a 98% chance of killing you or at the least, maiming you! After 20 years, they hand you papers and your last pay stubs, and send you in a one way flight home! There is no council, no "Training" no nothing to prepare you for becoming a citizen again, becoming human again! So, you get home and have to start your life all over from near scratch, you don't know anyone, there is no direction of any kind, and your left to sort through the minefield of veteran affairs entirely in your own, even once you make contact and are assigned a councilor! You must stand and fight for everything on your own, and it's all in you if you succeed or fail! Not knowing the game, being tossed head first into the wolf den, and left to survive is how this country functions! Now add in the politics, specifically the meddling and gaming of the system, it's a government scham where the politicians grab for power and wealth over a vast wasteland of wasteful spending, corruption is the rule, and you must fight through it to get what is owed you at every single step!

Now, think about this! If you suffer any sort of mental health issues, do you allow the gov to hold all the cards over you, allow them to lable you in any official capacity, do you allow them to remove your rights, and even institutionallze you, all because of things you experienced, things no doctor can treat, or do you remain silent, in hopes of learning to function in this new society that is hell bent to destroy you?
    Do you ask for help, knowing what will likely happen, or do you keep your mouth shut and hope it all works out in the end! Think what that does to you, to your family and friend.
    Many vets choose to become loners, hermits, they choose to remove themselves from a society that doesn't want them, much of it is the very real fear of being labeled or worse, treated, and many have learned a healthy distrust for the system, having seen the intimate inner workings of a corrupt system from within!
    Many vets choose to "Self Medicate" to deal with things, of just to check out for a while and let the world burn around them. Many find themselves cast out, unable to hold a job, or even get a decent job, and sooner of later, they end up on the streets, left to survive on their own!
    Where did it all go so fucking wrong?
    ( retorical) we all know the answer to that!

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Potter's Field.....

SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Damn UraKi ,, I felt like you were describing me in there ,,,,, you are pretty spot on .

Dunerunner and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Some of that was my own experience!
    Unfortunately, were far from alone in this!

SB21, Dunerunner and johnbb like this.
  8. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

What my son went through when he left Iraq and matriculated out of the Marine Corps. I was Navy and wasn't really in harm's way, other than the old tub I was stationed on nearly sinking on our way to Subic from Pearl. The plight of the Vets today tears my heart out...

oldawg, SB21, Ura-Ki and 1 other person like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7