A special memorial for Mom

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, Dec 12, 2022.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Mom had planned her whole life out in detail at least as far back as nursing school in 1955. Dad and I probably threw her schedule off a bit in '59 and '61 since we were both surprises. She moved down here to the beach ten years ago and had a few good years before her bones started crumbling. I've never known a human who had more surgeries.

She had joints replaced three times as the bones failed. Her back was a total lattice work of steel. We survived hurricanes, falls, floods, hotels and three moves. We talked a lot, but she shared no details of her plans. Only that she was hurting all the time, and was ready to die. She just had to get her plan together. She knew my knee replacement was coming up. I'd be off from work for about three months. There was a terrible fall on the porch, neighbors saved her from dying of exposure, long hospitalization, longer nursing home stay. She was giving them quite a time there. She introduced us to her new friends when we visited. Right before my surgery she told us that she would die after Thanksgiving. I asked her if she meant this Thanksgiving or one in the future. She just smiled and laughed. I called on Thanksgiving day and we had a nice talk. Before she hung up she said "I love you." That was the last thing I heard her say. She was hospitalized two days later, and never made any improvement. I got lots of physical therapy on the new knee visiting her in the hospital every day. That may have been her plan as well. She would be happy that she didn't die from, of, or with Covid 19. Just as she had planned, she died peacefully Sunday morning. She was 86.

I was her primary caregiver for seven years and all I can feel is joy that she is finally free of the pain.

This is the memorial lamp I've dedicated to her. I think it's fitting that it's first start was dominated by obnoxious flames and a generally bad attitude. When it finally caught it was bright, beautiful and loud, just like Mom. I'll miss her terribly, but she is at peace.

Mom's lamp (2).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
    GOG, mysterymet, natshare and 19 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

My condolences to you on your loss. Your mother is at peace, her plans complete. May she rest in Gods light.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I am sorry for your loss, @hot diggity, and my best wishes go with you and your extended family. My mother passed away, not quite two years ago, and it does leave an empty space that can only be filled by memories and artifacts that remind us of shared experiences, hopes, dreams and affection. It seems that though your mother's body was fragile towards the end, she was a tough old bird in other ways: she obviously felt that life was worth living, as painful as it was. It goes to show, that love endures much in the giving.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

MY thoughts and Prayers are with you, We're so sorry for your loss!
    I lost Mom in 2019 to cancer, she was ONE tough lady, and was always the shining light of Dignity, Class, and Grace, She never had a bad word for anyone, and was the epitome of stoic dignity till the end! She didn't give up when the doctors told her she had cancer, she leaned into it, found an inner strength and completed more of her bucket list, including buying a nice Green 1995 Chevrolet Corvette and driving the wheels off of it up the Pacific Coast Highway and then showing it off to all her family and friends!! In all my years, and with all she went through, I never saw her smile so brightly, That car made her smile more then just about anything else in the world, Being able to drive as fast as she dared when ever she wanted, really made her life complete, and I'm so happy she got to enjoy her last few years! We sold that Corvette, it was too painful to see it sitting there after Mom passed, and it went to a good home, something mom wanted!

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Sincere condolences. I am preparing myself for.my own mothers passing. But knowing how honery she is she might outlive me.

6. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Condolences, my friend.

What a beautiful story and a lamp befitting it and your mother.

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

My condolences to you as well HD .
    My Mom passed in a nursing home in Nov. '19 .
    When it happened ,, the only thing I am thankful for is , she is now free of the alzhiemers disease ,, and that it did not happen during the covid fiasco . I was with her in her last moments .

Mom's are some of the toughest people the Lord ever made , and your Mom sounds like she was a testament to that fact .
    May she RIP .
    God Bless ya HD .

8. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Sorry for your loss HD. More and more your memories will be only the best ones.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@hot diggity the lamp you chose to honor your Mother is perfect. It is delicate and pretty that a woman would love but shines bright. Sorry that you have had this loss. You are a good man to have cared for your Mom these past years. Please accept my condolences to you and your family.

10. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I just read 1 Corinthians 13 this morning, I think it epitomizes both of you. God bless.

11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Condolences hot diggity, Beautiful lamp.
    Like others here lost mom in May of 2020 to heart failure about the same age as your mom.
    My cousin and I set her headstone and buried her ashes ourselves next to her father.

12. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

My condolences, @hot diggity . Lost our mom a little over 8 years ago, now. 13 years after Dad left, I think she was more than ready to join him. She had 82 good years, plus 5 in a nursing facility, and was one of everyone's favorites there. The last year or two, the gears started slipping, and she was more than ready, when her time came. My sister and I got to wish her farewell, and she slipped away. I still miss her terribly, every day! :love:

13. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I am sorry for your loss of your Mom. Losing your mother leaves a hole in your heart that will never be truly filled. Look back on the good times and tell stories of when you where younger and times she made you laugh. Not only do our loved ones live on in the spiritual world, they also live on in our memories. When my mom died I did things to honor her memory and it made me feel better.

14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm lucky to still have mine, but it has been a strain on all of us of late. A few days after Thanksgiving, my Mother had to go to the hospital after a minor fall. Turns out that she had a serious UTI, which they got cleared up fairly quickly. Then her gallbladder started acting up and they had to remove that as well. By that time, she had spent nearly two weeks in the bed, and so they sent her to rehab for another week. She's coming home in 2 days! Tomorrow is my day off and I will be cleaning the house, vacuuming, washing dishes and clothes, etc., but it beats staying all night at the hospital, then going to work, then home to eat, shower and change, and then back to the hospital! We are all thrilled that she will be home for Christmas. I know that she won't be with us forever, but we will cherish every day that we do have.

15. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I'm sorry for your loss and may she rest easily now.

16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

My condolences HD !!

My mum did her nursing training (along with her sister) around 1952. Lost her in 1984 and my wonderful aunt in 2014. They were a year apart in age but as close as twins for much of their lives. I miss them both.

17. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

lost mine some time back... hurts... best to ya and prayers...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7