A looking glass to the past : Peter Gunn

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, May 7, 2024.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Peter Gunn | Season 1 | Episode 1 | The Kill | Craig Stevens | Herschel Bernardi | Lola Albright (youtube.com)

Started watching this old series - half hour episodes, so the story might seem to be rushed. I look at these as a mirror of the/to past - long gone past - the underlying society.

Peter Gunn - Wikipedia. First aired in 1958, produced by Blake Edwards, the Pink Panther guy.
    This is a contemporary of the Perry Mason series (started in 1957), except the Pery Mason ran as a 1-hour episode, so the stories are more...detailed.

These seem to be pretty cookie cutter; someone gets killed in the opening - a necessary plot point to launch the episode story. Very 1940's film noir.

Posted for your consideration/enjoyment (perhaps)

Cruisin Sloth, Zimmy and chelloveck like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The Peter Gunn theme tune is, like the Pink Panther theme tune, a brain worm. Unsurprising really, as both tunes were created by Henry Mancini. ;)

3. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I really like how EVERYONE has and or uses a .38 S&W or Colt snub nose revolver, and it always works with one shot. Don’t get me wrong, I wouldn’t want to get shot with one.

Love those old shows though.

Jim

Cruisin Sloth and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I love those ols Shows!

What's wrong with a Snubby? Hell, back before everything went WOKE and we had these "Summer of Love Peaceful Protests" that's mostly what I carried, a Colt New Agent in .38! Now that's what I carry as a back up! Still, at close range, those Snubbies are NASTY, as in, it's gonna suck to get gut shot with a .38 wad cutter no matter how you look at it, and all it takes is one dude to take a shot to the guts for everyone else to back off in fear of being the next!
    [​IMG]

jim2, DKR and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

6. DKR

Gut shot people scream - a lot. Just the thing to get everyone else's attention.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  7. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Nothing wrong with snubbies at all. I remember as a kid that we thought they were tactical nukes in operation, as did some adults. Adult males in my family preferred .45’s.

Getting shot high in the gut is a very painful experience.

Jim

DKR likes this.
  8. DKR

Oddly most military vets prefer a 45 ACP over a revolver in .38.

OldDude49 likes this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Full as well
    Thanks Sir

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I was born 100 years too late.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7