A little camping....

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Andy the Aussie, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

Not too many pics this time as it was only a couple of nights.

I was looking for an easy spot close to Sydney to go sleep away from the world, unfortunately most of the areas in the eastern side of the range are closed due to flood damage still or too many other humans there. So I drove a bit further out and found a spot in the Kanangra Boyd Nat Park. Unfortunately is was an actual campsite as opposed to heading up a fire trail and making a piece of flat ground my own, nonetheless it was better than Sydney.

Kanangra-Boyd National Park | NSW National Parks

Drive out took about 3hrs and I went via the township of Oberon, I love this little town and have spent a good deal of time there over the years. The last 45mins of the drive was on dirt and it was nice to find out what a good decision the new springs in my truck were...!!!

Home away from home....

[​IMG] upload_2022-12-11_10-29-30.

Some of the locals who decided they were all my new best friends....

[​IMG] upload_2022-12-11_10-29-30. [​IMG] upload_2022-12-11_10-29-30. [​IMG] upload_2022-12-11_10-29-30.

Out for a walk and saw a number of deer (feral in the park and actively killed by rangers - I was not telling though)...best pic I could get of a young buck...

Fire...must have fire to stare into....

A healthy salad for lunch...

[​IMG] upload_2022-12-11_10-29-30. [​IMG] upload_2022-12-11_10-29-30.

A little stream running down to the Boyd River proper....

Obligatory cutty things I am never without...

[​IMG] upload_2022-12-11_10-29-30. [​IMG] upload_2022-12-11_10-29-30.

Despite feeling off (I will explain shortly) I loved it, really the only thing that would have made it better was people not arriving Friday night and having MUCH more firewood !!! Of course a week more time would have helped too !!!! First night it was just on 0degsC and the second it was 2 degsC with misty rain all night, given it is SUMMER here it was colder than I expected and I did think I had gotten a chill as on Thursday night I could not warm up even in a well padded sleeping bag.

A guy from a nearby camp did come and see me as a couple of Dutch travelers had gone off in their busted up 4x4 for a drive and left all their camp behind....no sign of them after two days, I asked if he had let the park staff or police know by chance....but he had not, sorted that out and still don't know what happened. My guess is they drove into town and ended up at one of the local pubs for a couple of days (having done exactly that in that town as a 20year old). Nothing in the news so I am guessing they are OK.

And the final postscript to this is upon arrival home I was still feeling a bit rubbish and ended testing +ve for Rona.....

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Weren't you afraid of the scary magpie??

So he went into the bush and 'Got the Rona"

sung to my Sharona...

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. Andy the Aussie

I think Maggies are very cool birds !!! Even when they are being cranky. I have three or four very young ones residing around the house here at the moment !

And yes My Sharona goes all with that !! I am not sure where I actually licked the handrail to catch it. Probably Tuesday at the post office!

4. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Excellent looking salad.

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

[LMAO][LMAO][LMAO]

6. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Magpies are ok most of the time. They just get a little tetchy when hatching and until the chicks are grown up enough to fly.
    They have a beautiful song.

Nice song sounds to start the day with.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2022
    Gator 45/70 and Dunerunner like this.
  7. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

When I worked in the gold mining industry I knew of a fellow from South Africa who also worked at the same mine site in Nevada. His name was Rod Pye. Yes you guessed it, his wife's name was Maggie.

8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

My guess is the Dutch travelers were driving a Jeep of all things.
    The wife came back from the clinic this am, Yep + for Wuhan VD#19

Dunerunner likes this.
  9. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Andy, I'd like to know more about the first knife in your photos. It looks like something g from Busse Combat, what model is it?

GrayGhost, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

I have 3 Busse knives myself.

GrayGhost, Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Agreed, that first knife looks really good.

GrayGhost and Gator 45/70 like this.
  12. Andy the Aussie

..... yes a Busse. Desert Storm Stealth Fighter (DSSF) the black blade finish has been stripped and I put a bit finer edge on it.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7