80 yrs ago D-Day

Discussion in 'Politics' started by johnbb, Jun 4, 2024.

1. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Not many left most are close to 100 years old to all who survived and those who gave their lives I proudly stand and salute you. Thanks for a job well done

SB21, Jerry Fisk, natshare and 2 others like this.
  2. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

If you've ever sat thru the first 15 minutes of the movie, "Saving Private Ryan", you'll get a glimpse of what the landings on Normandy were like. I've heard it's still not as bad as the reality, but probably as bad as they could get away with, and keep their movie rating! I literally watched at least a dozen people walk out of the theater during those scenes, because they couldn't handle it.....and we're not even talking the "snowflakes" of today!

Jerry Fisk, Ura-Ki and OldDude49 like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Today is also the 82nd Anniversary of the Battle of Midway, only 6 months after Pearl Habor! With a rag-tag fleet, that was badly outnumbered, we smoked their asses and turned the tide in the Pacific!

CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  4. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

thing is many of the snowflakes have no clue just how nasty people can be... too sheltered I guess?

and many vets of such things try not to share... IMHO that is a mistake!!!

but thing is if you tell the truth about things you saw or went through they simply can NOT believe it... so???

SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I remember sitting in Germany at a movie theater when this came out and listening to screams and crying of everyone watching the film... Shocked everyone. I've been to Omaha beach and I honestly do not know how in the hell those guys did it. Better men than me...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    Jerry Fisk, SB21 and johnbb like this.
  6. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Maybe just a different perspective in Germany, remember the movie showed German soldiers being shot and burned alive. When I go to Gettysburg, I look across the field at the stonewall and clump of trees...one mile away, and then walk toward it...following the steps of the brave men of Pickett's Division. A Yankee just drives to 'The Angle' and saves himself a long walk.

7. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Also, as realistic as it apparently was, according to a lot of veterans who saw it, one thing they couldn't include was the smells. Also, the physical sensations; wind, shock waves from explosions, etc.

Jerry Fisk, johnbb and natshare like this.
  8. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

King Charles III D Day speech...

Although most Australians were busy fighting the Japanese in the Pacific in June 1944, A number of Australian Service personnel (mainly airforce and navy) did participate in Operation Overlord. Including an Australian Infantry Major on secondment to the British Army: Henry 'Jo' Gullett. MC, AM.

Fifty Australians - Jo Gullett | Australian War Memorial

'Jo' Gullett's autobiagraphical memoir 'Not as a Duty Only' is a classic of the era.

Bandit99 likes this.
  9. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

While the beginning of Saving Private Ryan was intense and the whole movie was extremely well done, it was the ending that did and still does affect me the most. Better men than I indeed - God rest their souls.

Jerry Fisk, CraftyMofo and Bandit99 like this.
  10. chelloveck

Tom Hanks gives his take on the significance of the D Day landings in 1944 to America, France, Europe, and the world.

11. chelloveck

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7