.45 ACP small and large primer cartridges - Opinions?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by hot diggity, Jul 25, 2024.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

IMG_20240725_031217.
    The argument from the industry a few years ago was that the small primer Federal .45 ACP was more accurate. Blazer just seems to use the small primer cases because they want to stick with just one size. Both make sense. A less energetic primer = less disruption in the powder charge as it ignites, and less variation for the bullseye shooter.

I've seen the small primers go from 1-10 to 4-10 over the past few years. There's just no getting around it. A guy has to be able to load both. The mix of primer sizes is a pain for the Camdex and Dillon 550 user. Hand sorting them is tedious. A primer pocket die and case kicker on a separate bulge buster machine is the best sorting fix I've seen.

For the average back-room reloader it just makes sense to be able to load both sizes of primers.
    It lets you snatch up whatever primers are available and all the range pick-up brass you find is now useful. I can't see tradition holding out over economy and efficiency. I think the mix of large to small .45 ACP primed cases will continue to shift in favor of Small Pistol Primers.

It's not as great a change as we've seen from the telegraph and land-line phones to cellular service, or the horse and buggy and pedal bicycle to EV's, but it is a change that we need to adjust to.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2024
    Altoidfishfins, Hanzo, duane and 3 others like this.
  2. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

When I was handloading, SPP in .45ACP was fairly rare, but bit me now and then. I'd save the SPP cases til I had a batch of fifty to load up. Performancewise, I really couldn't tell the difference, but I was never a competition shooter.

Zimmy, Brokor, Hanzo and 4 others like this.
  3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

When spp 45acp brass first appeared I shelved them. Before the pandemic 45acp spp brass was despised and could be had for half the price of lpp brass so I bought spp brass a few times when I found really good deals, really just someone wanting to get rid of them.
    No one has been able to determine one way or the other that small or large primers are more accurate in real world testing with normal guns people use. If you have a test barrel on a universal receiver then yeah you probably can tell a difference at 100yd.
    Since the pandemic small primers are a lot easier to get and they're cheaper and that's all that really matters.

Brokor, Hanzo, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  4. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

I've been tossing the small ones for years. I guess I should start hanging on to them, in case I find myself running low on LPPs with no resupply some time in the future.

5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Bought 500 rounds some years ago, I think they are CCI Blazer, because at the time they were the only ones I could find.
    All the rest I have are large pistol.
    Haven't used any of them yet but if I do they'll have to be separated because of the Dillion loader I use.
    From what I've heard it makes little or no difference large or small.

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I proudly own zero small pocket primed .45 :cool:

7. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

There was a time when I didn't save them with the good brass at all. Once we had three five gallon buckets full of them it was time to do a run with small pistol primers until they were used up.

Seawolf1090 and Zimmy like this.
  8. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

I'm a fairly good pistol shooter and I'm not good enough to split hairs over accuracy between the two primers.

Most of my ammo came milsurp in cans so I reload with LPP.

hot diggity and Seawolf1090 like this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

You should also be proud that you own at least one .45 ACP chambered firearm!;););)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7