2022 Purple Martin Report

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, Mar 28, 2022.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

They're baaaack! I'm still convalescing inland, but I got the report of their noisy arrival on 26 March.
    One day later than last year.

They're already settling in, and I look forward to getting back to the beach to watch them. Good thing I got all the limbs cut back on that Live Oak in time. :)

image.

2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

up north we use the Turkey Vulture as the harbinger of spring. They showed up last week. We have snow on the ground.

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

They showed up last week and are probably nesting in the attic above my garage. Little nippers actually clip away the nylon netting over the ventilation holes, fly in and set up housekeeping. ohno

hot diggity and Seawolf1090 like this.
  4. hot diggity

I need to get out my spotting scope and get some close ups of the males. They look all sleek and pretty from a distance. Up close they look like muscular little thugs. I love these guys. They're so noisy I hear them as soon as I get home.

Years ago there was a Sparrow that tried to nest in one of their apartments. Male Martin grabbed the Sparrow by the throat and both dropped straight to the ground, crashing the helpless Sparrow to the deck. The Martin held the Sparrow there for a few seconds before flying back up to the house. It took a long time for the Sparrow to recover, but he got the message. My Martins have been in this house for many generations. They don't tolerate intruders on their turf. :)

SB21 and Seawolf1090 like this.
  5. hot diggity

Next year I plan to move their house a couple yards West (again), since the Live Oak keeps expanding. I also plan to set up a second house in a larger open area where three of my pines used to be. The only tree in that area is a slow growing Holly, so the location should be good for many years.

I already have the pole. (visible in the background, swallowed up by the new growth of the Live Oak.)

Dunerunner and SB21 like this.
  6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

That's the way to deal with squatters!

SB21, Tully Mars and hot diggity like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7