10 Tips for growing tomatoes

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Feb 15, 2021.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The video gives guidance for soil amendments and plant nutrients.

duane likes this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Have a greenhouse and usually raise tomatoes, support them with the plastic clips and have wires strung that the twine hangs from. Support them well and trim all the suckers, keep plant open for air and sun, and one main stem. Support the bigger tomato fruit with a plastic piece that ties to the support twine and limit the number of fruit in a cluster. I would much rather have 3 tomatoes that weigh a pound or so, than 6 that are 4 oz. If you let the suckers get a little large on your best plants, you can clone them and in a few weeks they will have fruit. The clones start out at the point in the development stage that they were removed. Thus as soon as they establish roots, they will begin to blossom. Started from seed, it may take 6 or 8 weeks to reach that stage.

The only advice I have for raising tomatoes is to start now, it helps if you can find someone that has done it in your area for a few years, but every year is different, amount of sun light, humidity, pests, plant diseases, everything is always in flux, but by doing it you will learn how to catch things early and save the crop. Tried automatic watering in greenhouse, went to bato buckets and basically a growing medium with a nutrient solution running thru it. One a hot sunny, windy, dry day, each plant may need to be watered a few times and use a half gallon of water, on a cool, moist, cloudy day with no wind, it may only use a couple of oz.

Like most things in prepping, storing all the materials you need, seed, fertilizer, fire arms, ammo, long term old style wheat, beans, etc and expecting to be able to just start at some instant and it will all fall in place will insure that when you need it the outcome will not be what you expect. Here in NH one problem is lithium, the granite and the soil just doesn't seem to have it or at least in a form that is available, thus using Miracle Grow etc, with the water having no calcium or other things found in a limestone area, will without some other additives, mean you will fail to raise good crops. For organic, I have found a mixture of sea weed and fish products and the addition of a little shellfish meal will give me good plants and a lot of yield. I can't get it with anyone of the products alone.

chelloveck and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7