The good news about nuclear destruction

Discussion in 'General Survival and Preparedness' started by Bear, Aug 24, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Shane is good guy, a straight shooter and generous with his time on the phone..... IMHO

]Posted: August 24, 2006
    1:00 a.m. Eastern

What possible good news could there ever be about nuclear destruction coming to America, whether it is dirty bombs, terrorist nukes or ICBMs from afar?
    In a word, they are all survivable for the vast majority of American families, if they know what to do beforehand and have made even the most modest preparations.
    Tragically, though, most Americans today won't give much credence to this good news, much less seek out such vital life-saving instruction, as they have been jaded by our culture's pervasive myths of nuclear un-survivability.
    Most people think that if nukes go off, then everybody is going to die, or will wish they had. That's why you hear such absurd comments as: "If it happens, I hope I'm at ground zero and go quickly." This defeatist attitude was born as the disarmament movement ridiculed any alternatives to their agenda. The sound Civil Defense strategies of the '60s have been derided as being largely ineffective, or at worst a cruel joke. With the supposed end of the Cold War in the '80s, most Americans neither saw a need to prepare, nor believed that preparation would do any good. Today, with growing prospects of nuclear terrorism, we see emerging among the public either paralyzing fear or irrational denial. People can no longer envision effective preparations for surviving a nuclear attack.

In fact, though, the biggest surprise for most Americans, if nukes are really unleashed, is that they will still be here!
    Most will survive the initial blasts because they won't be close enough to any "ground zero," and that is very good news. Unfortunately, few people will be prepared to survive the coming radioactive fallout, which will eventually kill many times more than the blast. However, there is still more good news: Well over 90 percent of the potential casualties from fallout can be avoided if the public is pre-trained through an aggressive national Civil Defense educational program. Simple measures taken immediately after a nuclear blast, by a trained public, can prevent agonizing death and injury from radiation.
    The National Planning Scenario No. 1, an originally confidential internal 2004 study by the Department of Homeland Security, demonstrated the above survival odds when they examined the effects of a terrorist nuke going off in Washington, D.C. They discovered that a 10 kiloton nuke, about two-thirds the size of the Hiroshima bomb, detonated at ground level, would result in about 15,000 immediate deaths and another 15,000 casualties from the initial blast, thermal flash and radiation release. As horrific as that is, the surprising revelation here is that over 99 percent of the residents in the D.C. area will have just witnessed and survived their first nuclear explosion. Clearly, the good news is most people will survive the initial blast.
    The study also determined that another 250,000 people would soon be at risk from lethal doses of radiation from the fallout drifting downwind toward them after the blast. These much larger casualty numbers are avoidable, and that's more good news, but only for those pre-trained by a Civil Defense program in what to do before it arrives.
    Another study, released this month by the Rand Corporation, looked at a terrorist 10-kiloton nuke arriving in a cargo container and being exploded in the Port of Long Beach, Calif. Over 150,000 people were estimated to be at risk downwind from fallout, again, many more than from the initial blast itself.
    Today, lacking any meaningful Civil Defense program, millions of American families continue to be at risk and could perish needlessly for lack of essential knowledge that used to be taught at the grade school level.
    The public urgently needs to be instructed in Civil Defense basics, like the good news that thousands can be saved employing the old "Duck and Cover" tactic, without which most people will instead run to the nearest window to see what the big flash was just in time to be shredded by the glass imploding inward from the shock wave. They need to know when promptly evacuating, doing so perpendicular to the coming downwind drift of the fallout would be their best strategy. They must also be taught how to effectively shelter in place for a brief time while the radioactive fallout loses 90 percent of it's lethal intensity in the first seven hours and 99 percent of it in two days. For those requiring sheltering from fallout, the majority would only need a couple or three days of hunkering down, not weeks on end.
    This good news is within easy grasp of most people because an effective improvised family fallout shelter can be put together at home both cheaply and quickly, but only if the public is trained beforehand, as was begun in the '60s with our national Civil Defense program.
    Unfortunately, our government today is doing little to promote nuclear preparedness and Civil Defense instruction among the general public. Regrettably, most of our officials, like the public, are still captive to the same illusions that training and preparation are ineffective against a nuclear threat.
    Department of Homeland Security head Michael Chertoff demonstrated this attitude last year when he responded to the following question in USA Today:
    Q: In the last four years, the most horrific scenario – a nuclear attack – may be the least discussed. If there were to be a nuclear attack tomorrow by terrorists on an American city, how would it be handled? A: In the area of a nuclear bomb, it's prevention, prevention, prevention. If a nuclear bomb goes off, you are not going to be able to protect against it. There's no city strong enough infrastructure-wise to withstand such a hit. No matter how you approach it, there'd be a huge loss of life.
    Mr. Chertoff fails to grasp that most of that "huge loss of life" is preventable if the survivors of the blast and those downwind knew what to do beforehand. He only acknowledges that the infrastructure will be severely compromised – responders won't be responding. Civil Defense training of the public is clearly the only hope for those in the fallout path. Of course, the government should try and prevent it happening first, but the answer he should have given to that question is: "preparation, preparation, preparation" for when prevention might fail.
    The federal government must launch a national mass media, business-supported and even school-based effort, superseding our most ambitious public awareness campaigns like for AIDS, drug abuse, drunk driving, seat belts, anti-smoking and smoke detectors. The effort should percolate down to every level of our society. Let's be clear – we are talking about the potential to save, or lose, many times more lives than those saved by all these other noble efforts combined!
    Instead, Homeland Security continues to be focused primarily on two missions:
    • 1. Interdiction – stopping nuclear materials and terrorists at the border 2. COG – Continuity of Government for when No. 1 fails
    The most important mission has been largely ignored:
    • 3. Continuity of the Public – proven mass media Civil Defense training of the public that would make the survival difference for the vast majority of Americans affected by a nuclear event.
    This tragic and deadly oversight won't change until the crippling myths of nuclear un-survivability are banished by the good news that a trained and prepared public can, and ultimately has to, save themselves.
    National Civil Defense is an issue we hope and pray will come to the forefront politically this fall, with both parties vying to outdo each other in proposing aggressive Civil Defense educational programs. We are not asking billions for provisioned public fallout shelters for all, like what already awaits many of our politicians. We are just asking for a comprehensive mass media, business- and school-based re-release of the proven practical strategies of Civil Defense education, similar to what already has been embraced by the Chinese, Russians, Swiss, Israelis and even Singapore.
    In the meantime, though, don't wait around for the government to instruct and prepare your own family and community. Educate yourself today and begin establishing your own nuclear survival preparations by reading the free nuke prep primer "What To Do If A Nuclear Disaster Is Imminent!"
    Then pass copies on to friends, neighbors, relatives, churches and even local news media – and to your local elected representatives – with a brief note attached saying simply: "We hope/pray we never need this, but just in case, read it now, and keep it close for later on!" You might also forward them a copy of this article to help spread the good news that's liberating American's from the deadly myths of nuclear un-survivability!
    Shane Connor is the CEO of www.ki4u.com and www.nukalert.com, consultants and developers of Civil Defense solutions to government, military, private organizations and individual families.

2. Ardent Listener

Ardent Listener Monkey+++

I passed the link on to several forums I go to but I found some people just aren't interested in survival and consider me a nut for suggesting it.:D

3. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The problem with nukes is that everyone thinks on the scale of strategic nukes. If someone is going to hit us with a nuke, it isn't going to be a weapon on that scale, probably more like suitcase nuke which are not powerful enough to take a city down, at best, a few city blocks. It is the radiation that you have to worrry about, but remove the people from the down wind and it is survivable on any large scale. Deaths, sure probably a lot, but not as bad as most people think.
    If we get hit with a stratigic nuke, we have really big problems. It is coming from a well developed country and right now, they aren't a concern to us.

Which is what I think the author is saying!

4. Bear

That's too bad.... alot of folks think most are "nuts" for even thinking the "unthinkable" and even more so if you should try to prepare to survive the "unthinkable".... whatever that may be....

At least you tried and posted the information... good for you...

I spent some time on the phone with Shane.... his suggestion which is a good one... is to print out or xerox a bunch of extra copies of "what to do if a nuclear disaster is imminent"... http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm... have them ready and then when everyone comes to you to ask for advice... pass out the copies.... you will be too busy topping off your supplies to spend time explaining everything to everyone who suddenly remembers that you had some information....

Yup... "if I die.. I die" or "if it's my time... then its my time" or "if the Lord says its my time... then what can I do".... all crummy attitudes if you ask me.... might as well take yourself out of the gene pool if that's the case.... oh and for those religious types.... the Lord expects you to do you very best to survive and take care of your loved ones as well.... its just plain sloth, shame and stupidity! IMHO :D

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

MHO as well. Not much I can do, but what I can is done. "The Lord helps those who help themselves." Or words to that effect. My God has a sense of humor, and gets a huge laugh out of watching us muck up what he has given us. And, while he looks out for all of us, there is a deep, dark secret thought of mine that I'm now letting out of the bag. "He" will improve the gene pool after the end of time by helping more those that work for it. Hubris? Maybe. But the thought process works for me.

6. Bear

Yup.... I think God has a great sense of humor.... look at when he created man?:D

[​IMG]

Pretty funny.... or maybe not so funny... makes you wonder how many times the world gets "destroyed" and starts over.... with supposedly a more intelligent animal....

Like a Bear....:D

[​IMG]

Sorry... couldn't resist....[rofllmao]

7. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

^ Now, I LIKE that, it's funny no matter who you are or what you think. ^ Fits right in. :)

Yup.... I think God has a great sense of humor.... look at when he created man?

Yup, and woman too. (No handy cheap shots, or they would be here.):D [peep]

8. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

:unsure: maybe I shouldn't get too involved in a pull my finger thread...
    [fart] [gasmask]

9. Bear

I understand.... us fellow "Monkeys":D gotta stick together....

[​IMG]

10. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah I figure if its my time to go then Im gonna go and aint to worried about it, I just dont feel like checking out early because I wasnt smart enouph to think ahead a little. Besides there are a lot of ways to die and some like starvation, dehydration, and dieing at the hands of those who would do you harm for their pleasure tend to be a lot harder ways to go than others so figure be ready for the things I can be ready for but also means be ready to go when the time comes.

Just my own philosophy on it.

11. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

:D :D :D Love the ape!!!
    I don't have much to add to this, but wanted to remember where I saw it so thought I'd add my irrelevant five cents worth. (inflated value of 2 cents [2c] )

I haven't taken the nuclear threat serious, I think, because I've just believed the lie, "There is nothing we can do about it but wait for the fallout to get us". The more I see of the terrorist activities, I'm thinking it could be only a matter of time.

OTOH, I've been labeled a nut job for so long, I've decided it's just how people deal with those folks that don't fit in their comfort zone. [loco] The truth does make non-believers uncomfortable.[nk] [fight2]

12. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

I don't even worry about the big strategic nukes that much since there is so little I can do about it. I too gotta laugh at supposedly intelligent people making statements like: I'd rather die than live in that kind of world. If that happens, then I'm going to die anyway, so might as well get it over with. and other such nonsense.

I too think it will deepen the gene pool, and that we will have some problems with guys like meyah (the convict now going to trial.) I'm not sure just how much rampant lawlessness there will be.

jim

13. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

I was labeled a "Nut-Job" until 911 and Katrina...

I was amazed at how many other employees at my work wanted me to make them a $20 buck 72 hour BOB after I gave my project BOB to the Receptionist, this week. These are the same people that criticize my preparedness. Go figure. Ric

14. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Ric, they will have their little giggles, but when the rubber meets the road, and they see and think about it, they want in too. The trouble I have found and so you probably have too, is that most people want to be prepared but don't have the where with all to git-r-done. When they meet someone like you that is prepared, it is unsettling to them so they feel they have to make their little jokes.

15. Infidel

Infidel Guest

[​IMG]

16. poacher

poacher Monkey+++ Founding Member

AHHH now I see what made E.T fly.

I think that most people are so scared of facing the fact that they are so ill prepared for any natural or man made disaster that when they do meet someone who is they feel they have to ridicule them. WT hit the nail on the head. Those who can't be put into a catagory with everyone else is to be mocked. Makes me think of those "nerds" in high school.
    I have a great read about people today it was written by a Ret. Col. who authored "On Killing". Also a great book. Not light reading but truly insightful. I will find the article and post it but be forewarned it will slap alot of people in the face.
    Take care Be safe Poacher.

1. Asia-Off-Grid
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. deMolay
  6. Yard Dart
  7. Yard Dart
  8. GhostX
  9. melbo
  10. melbo
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary