handmade claypot (ceramic) water filters

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Tango3, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

2. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Very interesting, Tango. I'll have to wife talk to some of the pottery people at the college where she works, and see if this is a feasable thing to accomplish locally. It seems that the clay mixture and the silver biocide coating are the keys to getting this to work.

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Just though the mixing coffee or rice hulls in the clay and burning'em out technique was good "mcgyvering knowledge" to tuck away...

4. gunbunny

The wife found this site: http://www.pottersforpeace.org/

It goes into some more detail, but still no exact formula for the colloidial silver stain or the exact composition of the clay/sawdust/etc mixture.

I like the 5 gallon bucket idea, that would make things really easy.

5. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You could simply treat the "filtered" water with colloidal silver after the filtration to kill organic nasties. I'll talk to my step dad about the idea of mixing silver into the clay.

6. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

[pop]

7. gunbunny

Still checking, Tracy. Art majors are... fickle. Especially when they don't understand why you would want an ugly flower pot to put dirty water in and clean water out. Oh, and it has to fit in a boring 5 gallon bucket, yawn. Why do you need that if you can just use the sink to get water?

8. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

No worries. I'm very patient. I look forward to your findings. :)

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ditto.....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7